Our world is covered by a dense web of overlapping internet traffic zooming back and forth between provider hubs, routers, cell phone towers, and over 9 billion mobile devices. However, having access to multiple connectivity options doesn’t always result in a better user experience. Dropped calls and other sudden interruptions prompt many users to manually troubleshoot their Wi-Fi — a move that not only causes frustration for users, but also significant incremental cost for operators. In this blog post, we’ll dive into what causes this and how Adaptive Route Control (ARC), a new product offered by Kyrio, can help operators address this issue.
The Problem: Uncontrolled Network Experiences
Given the importance of network reliability, it is no wonder customers are looking for an immediate fix for their connectivity problems. The moment they experience a streaming lag or patchy reception, they go into their settings on their mobile device and click. There goes the Wi-Fi!
This creates the perception of an unreliable network connection, often leading to increased churn and even loss of customers. This poor customer experience is due to network operators having little control over which traffic is routed over Wi-Fi or cellular. Additionally, it’s more operationally expensive to route the traffic over the cellular network. This can directly affect competitiveness and profitability.
The Solution: Adaptive Route Control (ARC)
ARC is an intelligent traffic routing solution that uses network-probing algorithms and a crowd-sourced approach to preemptively find the best network for each customer in real time. It then seamlessly redirects traffic onto that network before the customer even realizes there may be an issue. The result: the customer would never even know there was a potential connectivity problem in the first place, avoiding frustration and troubleshooting.
As for the operator, ARC offers numerous operational and economic benefits:
- Happier customers, less churn: By providing a continuous, high-quality connection, ARC promotes customer satisfaction and loyalty, which translates into profits.
- Complete control over traffic routing: With ARC, operators can automatically redirect traffic to the most reliable and least expensive network, enabling them to stay competitive and maintain operational efficiencies.
- Optimal flexibility: ARC’s scalable modular design can accommodate specific operator needs and business goals. Operators can customize the system with unique per-application type policies for various network conditions. For example, “If Wi-Fi is good enough, use Wi-fi for streaming apps when roaming.”
- No equipment needed: ARC’s client-server architecture does not require expensive equipment upgrades. The service lives on the ARC cloud and app and it requires no changes to the operator mobile network or Wi-Fi access points
- Future-proof: ARC is also a smart hybrid access traffic routing solution for home and business routers and gateways. In the future, it will integrate with emerging 3GPP-compliant network-centric solutions by providing support inside mobile devices and Wi-Fi access points.
Interested in Working with Kyrio to Implement ARC?
Kyrio has over 30 years of experience working with network operators and suppliers and is the most trusted source for network testing and software services. We specialize in providing tailored solutions, like ARC, to help operators gain a competitive edge. Learn more about ARC and how you can get started below.
For more information on the ARC demo for Cable-Tec Expo, visit the CableLabs website.